What we offer
We meet the first Monday of every month throughout the whole year, and then 4 times a year, competition is held on the third Monday of the Month. We meet the whole year, not stopping for the summer months as some other Club will do. View our scheduled meetings and events in our calendar or in the right side bar on our News page.
Next Meeting: January 4th @ 7pm – Remote Video Conference
Program: Bisti Wilderness (and few other Colorado Plateau Badlands)
Guest Speaker: Karl Knapp – MNSPC Member
- This presentation will survey a half-dozen or so lesser-known “badlands” of the Colorado Plateau area (mostly southern Utah and northwestern New Mexico). The Bisti Badlands south of Farmington, NM will be featured. There will be plenty of photos of rock & dirt with a paucity of plant- & wild-life — such is the nature of badlands. Numerous hoodoos will make their appearance. Advice will be given on finding and photographing these desolate (for some) but intriguing (for others) locales.
- Karl grew up in southern Idaho. He worked summers as a firefighter for the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) to pay for his college education at Idaho State University, where he earned B.S. and M.S. degrees in Mathematics. His subsequent software development career eventually took him to northern Illinois where he worked for 28 years before retiring in 2012. Karl has regularly visited friends and family in the western U.S. Trips there increased in number & duration since his retirement.
- Karl first took up photography at age 50, seven years before retiring, to have a hobby in his “golden years”. This hobby has complemented his interests in hiking and camping and exploring the U.S. West. He makes frequent trips to Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Idaho, as well as other western states, exploring the back-roads in his 4×4, camping in remote locations (often on BLM land), and taking the odd photograph. [Pun intended and applicable.]
- This is an online meeting via Zoom.
- Invites will be sent out before the meeting.
View Our Latest Competition Results and Image of the Year
Congratulations to Ramu Bijanki winner of the 2019 Image of the Year for his image, Hunting Boreal Owl
Also Class A and Class B digital images from our latest competition can be viewed on the “Competitions” page . All our competition images are also on the MNSPC Flickr site. Compete to have your winning images displayed. Here are the Image of the Year finalists:
Meetings are held year-round on the first Monday of each month (excepting holidays) in the Mayslake Hall at the Mayslake Peabody Estate. Meetings start at 7:00 p.m. and guests are always welcome.
Come visit us at:
Mayslake Peabody Estate (map)
1717 W. 31st St. , Oak Brook, IL